Monday, October 18, 2010

Powell and Davidson article

I lived the elementary school dream with field trips ranging from the zoo to apple orchards to fire stations and even to Camp for a few days where all of the fifth graders stayed overnight!  I was fortunate enough to be able to expand my learning outside the classroom, and it was not allowed; it was encouraged.  My elementary classes allowed for much exploration through various field trips, however, I do not think we benefitted as much as the class with the donut shop.  Perhaps since this class wasn't able to go on as many field trips, they milked this one for all it was worth. I was amazed by the teacher's dedication to making the donut shop field trip the most educational experience possible.  And field trip doesn't even begin to do it justice.  These children ultimately created their own business, learning about loans and collateral, in kindergarten!  The teacher gave them the opportunity to see a business in their own neighborhood and then create their own business patterned off of it. She struck a wonderful balance between creativity and actual content teaching, allowing them to name their store and make donuts themselves, while still teaching them to spell and write more accurately.

As Powell and Davidson write, students from low income neighborhoods often have a poorer sense of self-efficacy so allowing these children to create such a detailed, organized business as their finished product was perhaps the greatest thing the educators could do.  Students not only felt accomplished and proud at the end by what they made, but enjoyed and learned in the process as well.

I must admit that my elementary school field trips were no where near as in depth as the donut shop.  While we would occasionally discuss a few things before we went on the trips, they were more for enjoyment than education.  This teacher gave her students a remarkable gift--the ability to learn through creating and taking pride in their work.  How wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your comparision of typical school field trips to the donut shop project. There are many ways that we can encourage learning, but mere exposure to an interesting location isn't enough. While it's wonderful to take classes on field trips, I agree that they are usually more entertaining than educational. Mrs. Davidson definitely provided much more education out of one neighborhood field trip than I ever recall experiencing out of any that I have been on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. Reading about things like this and visiting some of the amazing classrooms we have this semsester both excite and overwhelm me with thoughts of trying to measure up..

    ReplyDelete