Monday, November 8, 2010

MGRP Reflection

It's done!  I've posted pieces of my reflection because I think they explain my feelings pretty well after finishing!

The idea of the Multi-Genre Research Paper was completely foreign to me until this class.  Not surprisingly, I have written many research papers throughout my school career, but I have never been asked to represent my findings in such a unique way.  While I knew that writing could take the form of many genres, I never considered the inexhaustible amount of possibilities for genres.  For example, I still find it fascinating that a list can be considered a genre. I grew to appreciate many more types of writing through my exploration of this topic and very much enjoyed stepping out of my comfort zone to write from multiple perspectives and represent writing through various forms.  (I guess I should clarify by saying that I really enjoyed stepping out of my comfort zone toward the end of the project, but was a bit intimidated at first). 


This experience will shape my teaching in a tremendous way.  I plan to use the MGRP in various ways throughout the year.  I think the idea of the multi-genre can be applied to all types of subjects.  I plan to assign topics for specific units and let students choose for other units (within reason of course) but I don’t see why the MGRP cannot be incorporated somehow into every unit.  Letting students have a choice in how they express and represent their information seems to me to be the most powerful form of education because it says that we value their ideas.  What is more important than that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment